News:

January 2024
The ABDA has relaunched this forum with upgraded software, appearance and features. All the old content remains. Users should log in and update their membership profile.
Only financial members of the ABDA can register to be part of this forum. Non-members can browse the open sections of the forum and post questions to "Ask a Director" and "Online Directing" without registration.

Main Menu

Major or Minor penalty card?

Started by Leslie Cheung, 19 April, 2010, 12:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leslie Cheung

Hi,
Dummy lead S2, RHO played SK, Declarer played low.
Before LHO played any card, RHO lead the DA; now LHO play S10.
Declarer requested LHO to play her highest Spade, which is the Q.
Is the S10 major or minor penalty card?
Thanks.
Leslie

Ed Reppert

The ten is an honor, which would make it a major penalty card. Note that the DA is also a MPC.

Leslie

Does it mean if the first card was, say, S9 will be a minor penalty card?

Chris

Doesn't the requirement to play high or low refer to the Diamond Ace which was led prematurely ?

Chris

Sorry Ed - I don't think the Law Book is completely clear on this one, but I read some other information I have and you are quite correct (of course) !

pwg

Quote from: Leslie on 20 April, 2010, 12:18 PM
Does it mean if the first card was, say, S9 will be a minor penalty card?

It is still a major penalty card, since it was played deliberately, not dropped accidentally.
Peter Goddard
Bendigo

Ed Reppert

One of these days, Chris, somebody on these boards is going to catch me in a mistake, and I'll never hear the end of it!  :D ;D ;)

Chris

Ed Reppert

Heh. I had to Google that one. Very interesting. It's amazing some of the things you can learn on the Internet.

GSLACK-SMITH

Ed   could it be based  on Cockney humor
opium poppy = 'dope'
Regards

pwg

It actually derives from Livy's account of the early Roman King Tarquin who sent a message to his son  "to cut the tall poppies" - i.e. kill the most eminent men in his area.  see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tall_poppy_syndrome
Peter Goddard
Bendigo

Chris

I'd be watching my back if I were you Ed.

Paul Sherman

So Ed, you've been on here forever and have answered a gazillion questions.
Why do you remain a guest? Why not become a member?

Paul