News:

January 2024
The ABDA has relaunched this forum with upgraded software, appearance and features. All the old content remains. Users should log in and update their membership profile.
Only financial members of the ABDA can register to be part of this forum. Non-members can browse the open sections of the forum and post questions to "Ask a Director" and "Online Directing" without registration.

Main Menu

Insufficient bid

Started by eric, 06 June, 2010, 09:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

eric

the bidding goes
S       W      N         E
1D     pass    pass    3S
pass   pass    3C                          <--------------- insufficient bid

The director was called and East did not accept the 3C bid.  The director asked South, systematically, is the 4C bid always Ace asking disregard the bidding process, the answer was YES.  The decision from the director was, North could change the bid to anything including pass but not double, the partner (South) would be barred in the rest of the auction.   Seems a right judgment here.

East & West yelled on, 4C was Ace asking, so, either South had to response or if he could not bid anymore then North could not bid 4C.  I think this is a childish argument but interested for discussions.

Chris3875

It seems strange to me that South would take 4C for Gerber in this situation when North has previously been a passed hand. I would have made the same decision as the Director on the day and would have allowed the 3C to be changed to 4C but partner would be barred from the remainder of the auction.

Paul Sherman

North should change the bid to anything (including 4C) except double and if it was 4C and South bid on a la Gerber, who would I be to interfere if they want to commit hara kiri? If South thinks 4C by a hand that couldn't respond to 1D can be Gerber, please pass on my phone number to him. I would like to play rubber bridge against him any time day or night for high stakes.

Ed Reppert

There are only three circumstances in which an IBer's partner will not be required to pass throughout the remainder of the auction:

1. LHO of the IBer accepts the IB. Didn't happen here.
2. Both the IB and the lowest sufficient bid in the same denomination are "incontrovertibly not artificial". Not the case here.
3. The IB is corrected with a legal call with the same or a more precise meaning than the IB. I doubt there is any such call available in this case.

EW can opine that South should be allowed or required to bid over 4C all they like. Doesn't matter, they're wrong. They are not, btw, allowed to "yell on" all they like. That will very quickly arise to the level of a violation of law in itself, and one with which the TD should deal quickly and firmly.

bluejak

I am surprised at the view that a pair is not likely to play 4C as ace-asking because it is illogical.  A lot of players have very simple rules, and many of them play that 4C is always asking.  It is not the Director's job to teach them otherwise, merely to rule.

As for E/W, if they really yelled, given them a Disciplinary Penalty: it is time players even in clubs learnt basic behaviour.